Texas Attorney General Wins Court Judgment
with Six Colonic Hydrotherapy
March 1, 2005
Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott today announced agreed court judgments against six defendants involved in the unlawful selling and clinical use of prescription “colonic hydrotherapy”devices in five Texas cities.
Colonic irrigation without physician oversight poses potential dangers to patients, a fact that prompted Attorney General Abbott to seek the court-ordered agreements from the alternative health providers. In the agreements, the defendants pledge to ensure proper cautions will be strictly observed when they sell, promote or provide these treatments.
“Patients’ health and safety must be the first priority in using of this type of treatment, and a licensed physician should oversee its use,” said Attorney General Abbott. “I am pleased that these businesses have agreed to comply with state law and protect their patients’ health.”
The six defendants agreeing to the Attorney General’s terms are:
- Jeri Tiller and Tiller Mind Body Inc., a colonic hydrotherapy device manufacturer based in San Antonio, which also provides treatment
- Lisa Ramoin, who does business as Alternative Health, and Janice Jackson, who does business as InsideOut and Within, both of Houston
- Lifestream Purification Systems, L.L.C. of Austin, a hydrotherapy device manufacturer
- Jennifer Jackson, who does business as Body Cleanse Day Spa of Dallas
- Soledad Herrera, who does business as Body Matters of El Paso
The treatments consist of using prescription nozzles and systems to thoroughly cleanse the colon, all of which requires physician oversight under federal and state law. In addition, the purchase, possession and use of the devices must be done with the approval of a physician.
The treatments, when prescribed and supervised by a physician, must be consistent with U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) guidelines. The only use cleared by the FDA is for treatments conducted prior to a patient undergoing radiologic or endoscopic examinations.
For Additional Information
- Agreed court judgment against Tiller Mind Body, Inc.
- Agreed court judgment against Alternative Health Therapy
- Agreed court judgment against Insideout and Within
- Agreed court judgment against Lifestream Purification System
- Agreed court judgment against Body Cleanse Day Spa
- Agreed court judgment against Body Matters
This page was posted on March 9, 2008.