This page will provide convenient access to the testimony at government hearings on topics related to health fraud and quackery. Some hearings highlight serious problems. Others, however—particularly those held by Dan Burton (D-IL) and his House Committee on Government Reform—provide a platform for quackery promoters. Casewatch will develop this archive in two steps. First we will locate relevant documents on the GPO Access site. Then we will organize and post them for convenient access.
Senate Special Committee on Aging
- Frauds and Quackery Affecting the Older Citizen—Part 1 (1963)
- Frauds and Quackery Affecting the Older Citizen—Part 2 (1963)
- Frauds and Quackery Affecting the Older Citizen—Part 3 (1963)
- Frauds and Quackery—Part 1 (1964)
- Frauds and Quackery—Part 2 (1964)
- Frauds and Quackery—Part 4 (1964)
- 107-14: Swindlers, Hucksters And Snake Oil Salesmen: Hypea and Hope of Marketing Anti-Aging Products to Seniors
- 109-29: At Home DNA Tests: Marketing Scam or Medical Breakthrough?
- 110-5: Bioidentical Hormones: Sound Science or Bad Medicine
- 111-18: Dietary Supplements: What Seniors Need to Know
Senate Committee on Appropriations
Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation
- 111-37: Deceptive Practices: Are Consumers Getting What They Paid For?—Part I
- 111-37: Deceptive Practices: Are Consumers Getting What They Paid For?—Part II
- 113-331: Energy Drinks: Exploring Concerns about Marketing to Youth
Senate Committee on Finance
- 109-45: Review of the FDA's Approval Process for Vagus Nerve Stimulation Therapy System for Treatment-Resistant Depression
Senate Commitee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions
- (1971): Children's Dental Health Act of 1971
- 111-387: Principles of Integrative Health: A Path to Healthcare Reform
Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
Senate Committee of Labor and Human Resources
Senate Committee on Labor and Public Welfare
House Committee on Appropriations
- 103- Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations for 1994 (DSHEA)
House Committee on Energy and Commerce
- 103-57: Regulation of Dietary Supplements
- 108-93: Parents Be Aware: Health Concerns about Dietary Supplements for Overweight Children
House Committee on Government Operations
- 105-1: Gulf War Syndrome: To Examine New Studies Suggesting Links Between Gulf Service and Higher Rates of Illnesses
- 105-13: Health Care Fraud in Nursing Homes (Part I)
- 105-68: Health Care Fraud in Nursing Homes (Part II)
- 106-4: Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Government-Funded Health Programs
- 106-13: Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act: Is the FDA Trying to Change the Intent of Congress?
- 106-33: Cardiovascular Disease: Government Doing More Harm Than Good? EDTA Chelation Therapy
- 106-60: How Accurate is the FDA's Monitoring of Supplements like Ephedra?
- 106-61: The Role of Early Detection and Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Women's Cancers
- 106-77: Improving Care at the End of Life with Complementary Medicine
- 106-136: Compensating Vaccine Injuries: Are Reforms Needed?
- 106-180: Autism: Present Challenges, Future Needs—Why the Increased Rates?
- 106-232: Mercury in Medicine—Are We Taking Unnecessary Risks?
- 106-235: Cancer Care for the New Millennium—Integrative Oncology?
- 106-239: FACA: Conflicts of Interest and Vaccine Development—Preserving the Integrity of the Process
- 106-248: Accutane—Is this Acne Drug Treatment Linked to Depression and Suicide?
- 106-247: Ethnic Minority Disparities in Cancer Treatment: Why the Unequal Burden?
- 106-250: Defrauding Medicare: How Easy is it and what Can We do to Stop it?
- 107-26: Six Years After the Establishment of DSHEA: The Status of National and International Dietary Supplement Research and Regulation
- 107-29: Autism—Why the Increased Rates? A One-Year Update
- 107-44: The National Vaccine Injury Program: Is it Working as Congress Intended?
- 107-74: The Autism Epidemic—Is the NIH and CDC Response Adequate?
- 107-109: Diet, Physical Activity, Dietary Supplements, Lifestyle and Health
- 107-121: The Status of Research into Vaccine Safety and Autism
- 107-137: Gulf War Veterans' Illnesses: Health of Coalition Forces
- 107-140: The Continuing Oversight of the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program
- 107-141: Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder—Are We Overmedicating Our Children?
- 107-153: Vaccines and the Autism Epidemic: Reviewing the Federal Government's Track Record and Charting a Course for the Future
- 107-159: Mercury in Dental Amalgams: An Examination of the Science
- 107-237: Research Into Persian Gulf War Veterans' Illnesses
- 108-22: Consumer Choice and Implementing Full Disclosure in Dentistry
- 108-85: The SV-40 Virus: Has Tainted Polio Vaccine Caused an Increase in Cancer
- 108-125: The Future Challenges of Autism: A Survey of the Ongoing Initiatives in the Federal Government to Address the Epidemic.
- 108-127: Preventing Another SV40 Tragedy: Are Today's Vaccine Safety Protocols Effective?
- 108-141: California's Compliance with Dental Amalgam Disclosure Policies
- 108-146: 10 Years after the Implementation of DSHEA: The Status of Dietary Supplements in the United States
- 108-192: Autism Spectrum Disorders: An Update of Federal Government Initiatives and Revolutionary New Treatment of Neuro-Developmental Diseases
- 108-262: Truth Revealed: New Scientific Discoveries Regarding Mercury in Medicine and Autism
- 108-270: Dietary Supplements: Nature's Answer to Cost-Effective Preventive Medicine
- 109-135: The Rehulation of Dietary Supplements: A Review of Consumer Safeguards
House Ciommittee on Interstate and Foreign Commerce
- Staff report: Vitamin, Mineral, and Diet Supplements, October 1973
- 93-58: Vitamin, Mineral, and Diet Supplements, Part I
- 93-59: Vitamin, Mineral, and Diet Supplements, Part II
House Select Committee on Aging
- 98-435: Quackery: A $10 Billion Scandal (A Report by the Chairman)
- 98-463: Quackery: A $10 Billion Scandal (Hearing)
This page was revised on November 27, 2016.